I've been making terrain piece's intermittently for the past few months now. One type of them has been some forest sections. I thought I'd give a basic description of how I went about making them.
* A cherished & much loved CD or DVD.
* Bogroll a.k.a. toilet paper.
* Expanded foam scraps
* Static grass
* Pretend Trees
* Basing material
Oh, and a bit of paint wouldn't go astray either :)
1/ Cover the centre hole of the CD with a bit of plastic.
2/ Stick down a couple of trees in random locations.
3/ To make some rocks, stick some Expanded foam bits to the base.
4/ Mix some PVA with water 50:50 and paint the foam with it.
5/ Tear off small sections of toilet paper and lay them all over the wet foam.
6/ Paint the PVA mix over the toilet paper to adhere it to the foam.
7/ While it's still wet, sprinkle it with sand. The rock is now done.
8/ Coat the rest of the base with straight PVA & cover it with basing material. Then let it dry.
9/ Shake off the loose basing material, then paint the rocks with black paint & drybrush white.
10/ Ink wash the basing material Dark brown & drybrush with Light brown paint....let it dry.
11/ Paint PVA all around the perimeter of the base, rocks and in sporadic locations too.
12/ Apply static grass to the base and leave to dry.
13/ Once dry, shake off the loose static grass....Job done!
Now here's some tree porn for you all to enjoy,
|Here's some tree's.|
|And here's some more tree's.|
|Here's a close up of some tree's.|
|And here's a close up of just one tree.|
|Oh, and this one is a special one.....oh, no it's not! It's just a close up of some tree's too!!....sorry :(|
|Here's a selection of some of the tree bases on my "forever almost finished" skirmish tabletop.|
All up, I made ten of these tree bases. Which should be enough to game with on most sized tabletop's I reckon. Overall, I'm pretty with how they turned out, except for the static grass colour. It could have matched my grass mat better, but I suppose that's always an issue when using this stuff.....there's just so many different shades of the stuff, trying to colour match it can be nigh impossible. Oh well, it's only a slight problem, the rest of the thing turned out fine IMHO :)
I've made up some Sci-fi terrain bases too, but they still require a bit more work before I can call them finished.
Until next time, keep breathing.