Thursday 1 June 2017

Giant Slayer

I'm hoping to take part in the suicidal Giant slaying slugfest at BOYL this year. Only problem is, I only have a few of the vertically challenged fellows in my lead collection, just a handful, but I'd never painted one of them up. So, I dug out this Chaos Dwarf and set to work. I also pulled out my old shield design sheet too and had another crack at "painting" them.


Here he be!

Smiling or grimacing? Hard to tell.

I "think" the shield works.

The red skirt looks a bit like a dress I'll admit, but I wouldn't want to point that out to him to his face. 


And here's my old project, ready for another outing:

I just picked one and attacked it with a blue fineliner.

Inks & paint just bleed into the paper. I'm still trying
 to figure out how to get the best out of them actually. 


I banged this guy out in about an hour. They're damn easy to paint up dwarfs, not much on them at all! I hope he lasts more than one round of combat with the big fella at BOYL though. Still gotta come up with a name for him too.....it'll be something inappropriate, don't worry :)

Cheers.

14 comments:

  1. The shield design definitely works.

    Hopefully see you a BOYL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Riot. BOYLS' gunna be a blast, for sure :)

      Delete
  2. Yussssss, so eager to fight alongside this one !

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks good. How about BigBumPointySmash? The shield looks excellent so stop fussing ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha :D A lovely name you came up with there Ragsta :)

      I think I'd just prefer the shield colours to have been blended in a bit better. I'm still happy with the design though.

      Cheers :)

      Delete
  4. Nice, and cool idea on the shields. Try a quick coat of matte medium to seal the paper before using paint over. I've been puzzling and debating over how to shields for my O&G army as I love painting freehand one-offs but they can take me almost as long as the figure itself. Have been debating printing decals, making different bosses and pressmolding them along with other ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I might give that a try. Sound's like it'd work a treat, thanks :)

      I'm the opposite to you Ryder as I can't freehand to save my life. The best I can draw is a stick figure....even my 10 year old son can draw better than me :D That's why I prefer the 3D canvas of miniatures I suppose. They do look fantastic when they're done though. With the addition of a cool looking freehand shield it can turn an ordinary mini into a bloody fantastic one!

      Another idea I've had, which I've played with a little, is to use one of those art apps to pimp the B&W shield designs. They add different colours, patterns and shapes to the original image. I've had a few success's, but it took a while playing with it. I might pursue it a bit more as it really made a difference....on the few that worked :P

      Cheers Ryder :)

      Delete
  5. Hi,

    Just to let you know that Limumworks website is up and running regarding the Grotesque Shields (the seller contacted me). Here is the link https://www.limumworks.com/

    Great work on the Chaos Dwarf by the way. The armour looks great in blue.

    Cheers. Jeg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up Jeg, much appreciated :)

      Glad you like the CD, they're bloody easy to paint up these guys....no accoutrements to worry about.

      Cheers :)

      Delete
  6. Hello, have you recently posted an item for sale on the Oldhammer Trading Company - a beast of nurgle? A profile called Erasmus Papafakis claims to be the same person as the author of this blog - just checking you're the same person :)

    ReplyDelete