Monday 20 August 2018

Back with a big bastard!

Hello and welcome back to the sporadic adventures of my blogging life.

Here I present to you a mini that I was gifted with by a mate back in Aus. A complete surprise and a bloody fantastic mini that I've wanted for a while. Cheers James :) As soon as I got back from Aus with him he quickly got shifted to the front of the painting queue.




Where I promptly faffed him up with this horrible blue colour scheme. It wasn't all THAT bad, but I think he would have looked a lot better if I'd chosen a lighter shade of blue to begin with. Oh well, lessons learned and all that. So, into the stripping jar he went and I began again in earnest. 





I'm much happier with how he turned out the second time around. The mini is fairly well detailed, with popping veins and lots of muscle definition, so it was just begging for a few washes.

If your curious to know what mini he is, he's an old Warzone mini "Razide". Last time I checked he was still available from Prince August minis. In RT I think I'll stat him as an Ogryn, but for other games he'll make for a great chaos warp dude....or something. Should make for a fun baddie to use on the pretend battlefield either way.

Anyway, a quick one today. Enjoy :)

18 comments:

  1. I'm usually against stripping freshly painted models but in this case the 2nd version is massively better and actually pretty great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers JB :)

      Yeah, I usually persist with paint jobs through to the bitter end, but I could see that this wasn't going to get much better.

      Glad you like the fleshy colour scheme mate :)

      Delete
  2. Pink makes the Razide more classic Warzone. Love it. Works so much better, especially with the veins in the bloody colour.

    If it makes you feel any better, I've got a Razide in blue that's utterly stalled as a paintjob too! Maybe I'll follow your examples and turn it pink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I'd love to see your take on it Chris. As I mentioned in the post I think a light blue would have worked. With your skills I think he'd look ace.

      Cheers mate :)

      Delete
  3. Good to see you back again! I agree that the second one is much better. He looks very raw, especially on the beach setting. Clearly he forgot to apply any sun lotion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lotion is for lazy delicate folk like us, not for murdering death machines like this fleshy hulk.

      Glad you like my second choice in colours Toby :)

      Delete
  4. Agreed second version is totes better. The way you've captured the throbbing pulsing muscles...it looks like there are shades of increased blood flow to certain areas as well. Well done Mec. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers M8,

      The veins are really cool on the sculpt. I think they help contrast with his musculature so that it's not just one pink mass.

      Glad you like him....the second time around :)

      Delete
  5. I think the pink, raw flesh, was the way to go. Very cool and unique figure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Sean :)

      I wasn't aiming for raw flesh, but that beach background scene makes it look like he's a lobster. Still, I'm chuffed with how he turned out.

      Thanks again :)

      Delete
  6. Nice model! The Razide was also one of my favourites of the old Warzone game. I still have a couple of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he's a nice chunky piece of lead isn't he. And he's full of detail too which makes it easier to paint.

      Cheers Phil :)

      Delete
  7. I've got one I need to dig out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yessss! I'd love to see how you paint him up Lope. Are you going to give him the sunburnt treatment too or something completely different?

      Cheers mate :)

      Delete
  8. Who doesn’t love a massive alien with a big gun?? Well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! They are the ultimate scary dude on the tabletop...that usually end up dead quick smart because they can't aim very well and are so big that they attract fire from every corner of the tabletop. But they are fun though :)

      Cheers Anthony, glad you like him.

      Delete
  9. He looks a million times better.

    What did you strip him with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bacon :)

      I actually got a game in with him ever the weekend. He massacred three beastmen in hand-to-hand, then jumped of a cliff and started chewing up a few marines....all before meeting his demise at the hands of Dread with two twin-linked bolters. What a glorious career :D

      My paint remover of choice? Dichloromethane. Toxic as fuck, but it gets the job done quick smart. Can't afford to stuff about in the hobby game :P

      Cheers mate.

      Delete