Thursday 25 April 2019

RoC Warband Champion.

Hello all,

In the previous post I blogged about the objective marker that I had made for this years RoC game at BOYL. In this post, and the one's that will follow over the coming months, I will be blogging about each retinue member/unit that I'm making to play said game. Almost all of the minis will be converted to a lesser or greater extent. So I thought it might be fun to document the project, one retinue roll at a time. Let's begin........

First I generated my champion and then gave him four rolls on the retinue table. The chaos patron I chose for my warband was Khorne because blood, guts, bone and gristle are disgusting. Here's the basic warband that I rolled up:

1 x Champion, Beastmen Minor Hero.
1 x Psyker lvl 0
1 x Psyker lvl 2
7 x Squats
6 x World Eater traitor legionnaires, assault.


And here is the champion in detail:

Renegade Leader: Johnny Darvo
Beastman minor hero
Mark: Chaos armour
Rewards: Pseudo Daemonhood (flyer 1M, +1A,+F5), Short legs(1/2M), Silly walk(-1M, -1F).
Fear pts total: 4
Equipment: knife, lasgun, plasma pistol, flak armour, communicator, eye protectors, rad counter.

Due to some abysmal rolling on my part he can only fly at 1" and walk at 1". Therefore I figured that his followers must have taken pity on him in the past and procured some sort of basic mode of locomotion for him. To that end I decided to make a tracked vehicle with the basic movement rate of a human for him to ride on. He'll at least be able to engage the enemy in hand-to-hand, instead of just hurling insults at them from a distance.

His name is a mashing of two on-screen references. The first is from the movie Short Circuit and the second is from Dr Who. They were both chosen after he was built. The reasons will become obvious later on, trust me.

The mini I chose for the basis of my champion was a late edition GW Bloodletter.....3rd iteration I think. The vehicle is a tracked wheelchair from Ramshackle Games.



I began by butchering the donor mini to match his new physique, cutting down his legs to shorten them as much as possible. Pretty fiddly, but worked out in the end. I then cut the hands away from the axe and placed a plasma pistol in one (drilling out the barrel because Chris) and in the other hand I took the pommel from the axe and inverted it's position so that it was on top of his hand. This was to give the appearance of a control stick used to operate the wheelchair.

I carved a chunk of resin away from the top of the tracked vehicle to become the seating area for Johnny and then used a seat section from an old plastic Eldar bike, I think, to make the padding. Once I was happy with the positioning I pinned & glued the sucker in place.

His communicator/rad counter was combined into one unit. I thought a mahoosive boombox (a part from a Ramshackle bike) on the side of his head would be a fitting piece of equipment for a worshiper of Khorne, blasting commands at his minions at full volume! I used a bit from a mechwarrior toy to act as the mounting arm for it as well.

His wings were some old school Reaper wings donated to me by my mate Chris....the other one.....no, not you.....the OTHER one! Thanks a lot for them "Chris" :)

His lasgun was stowed in a cut down plastic straw, mounted on the side of the wheelchair with bent up paper clips. The combat blade was from the RTB-01 SM weapon sprue. I mounted that on the opposite side to the lasgun in a cut up and folded piece of cardboard. The eye protectors were just made with a bit of putty......nothin too flash.

All that was left for me to do was add a few other details like cables and pipes, then a bit of putty work here and there and he was ready for paint. I was remiss in taking a photo before I started to paint him. All I have is this silly little video clip that I'd shared with my mates though, so this will have to suffice:



My son pointed out to me after I had built him that he looked a lot like a rock star because he has a boombox, something that looks like a microphone beside his head, holding what appears to be a microphone in his hands and yelling at the top of his lungs......all well spotted! I actually quite like that image, rocking in the realms of chaos :D

And here he is post paint:











So, what do you think, did I capture what I rolled up? Does he look ridiculous? Would you run from this creature if you came across him or would you stop, point in his direction and laugh? If you answered yes or no to all of these questions then you have failed basic logic because one of those questions was double barreled :P

Anyway, I'm really happy with him, hope you guys like him too :)


Next up will be the Traitor Legionnaires squad.

Cheerio.


27 comments:

  1. Shane it's absolutely bonkers in the best possible way! I don't see a rockstar but more of a nod to Lord Humungus make his speech before the assault. I think all the colors turned out well, the only thing I might suggest is giving the yellow and black wire a wash as they seem too clean to the rest of the weathered model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grover :)

      I agree about the wire, I was just too lazy to do anymore to it :D I may play with it a bit more before I finish off the rest of the warband though. I'm thinking of adding his name to his base as well, so I can do the wire then.....maybe.

      Cheers :)

      Delete
  2. Perturbator!!!!!!!
    Looks ace man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zeta,

      You'r a fan of synth too? Only discovered it about a year ago by accident. It's what I listen to while hobbying these days.

      Glad you like the build, he was a lot of fun to make. On to the next retinue now.

      Thanks.


      Delete
    2. Yes! synthwave blows my mind! it's like workout music for your brain

      Delete
  3. OMG, that is fucking awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I aim to please Andrew :)

      He looks a lot more impressive propped up on his motorised wheelchair than if he had get around on his titchy little stumps doesn't he?

      Cheers man :)

      Delete
  4. An utterly insane creation, truly worth of the chaotic rules mess that spawned him. The results have caused you to create something utterly unique. I love the concept and the execution - everything from his stunted legs through to his incredible shades! His all terrain mobility scooter is a technological marvel, and he just oozes rock star swagger. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jesus! What can I say to such gushing praise? Ummmmmm.....I'm really happy that you like what I created Jon, truly I am :)

      I am so looking forward to using him in the game with you guys. Should be an absolute blast!

      Cheers mate :)

      Delete
  5. I don't care how much you cheat to give him a way to move, he still counts as M1...
    And he's so dead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FUCK YOUUUUUUUU!!!!!!! He is so moving at standard rate and he is going to win, by hiding from your grav gun wielding bastard.

      I honestly think that this RoC renegade game is going to be a once in a lifetime experience. From a creativity level alone it will be amazing!

      Prepare to die Mr man with no arse!

      Delete
    2. Move him as much as you need, he's M1 nonetheless.

      Delete
    3. I'll move him 4" and you can call it 1”. Deal.

      Delete
  6. That is impressively mental! Those Ramshackle legs/tracks really are useful! The shades work especially well, I think. Very rogue trader!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Toby! I'm glad you like him :)

      I've got a few more of those tracks, I'm sure they'll come in very handy. The shades are were made from GS, flukes it of course :)

      Cheers.

      Delete
  7. You did it again, I didn't see this coming. Absolutely amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first four words of your comment reminded me of that Brittany Spears song. Now it's stuck in my head.....arrggghhhhh, make it stop!

      I've got a bunch of other minis to get ready for the RoC game too, so there'll be more to come.

      Your own conversions have the same effect on me too Suber. I always look forward to seeing your creations.

      Cheers man :)

      Delete
  8. Brilliant concept he should be on Earache Records or even in Lawnmower Death I'd definitely run away as I've had to suffer this genre in the past

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Inchmurrin,

      I'm not familiar with those bands, but I guess they're not ASMR related yeah?

      Running away from him, as a mere mortal, would be a wise choice I think. Unless you can make him fall of his ride, then you can just casually walk away instead.

      Glad you like him, he was a lot of fun to build.

      Cheers man :)

      Delete
  9. It was a tough task to do, but this time you have surpassed yourself, wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gee thanks Skully, that's very kind of you to say. I really like how he turned out too. Let's see if he can cause enough carnage on the pretend battlefield before he gets spawned to death from mutations :D

      Cheers :)

      Delete
  10. Absolutely ridiculous! Love it. This lad gives off such a strong Warzone vibe, like the classic Tekron miniatures. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Chris! I'm really happy with how he turned out too. I can't wait for the big game and to see all you guys again :)

      Delete
  11. Absurd and amazing creation. Loving the fact he is starting out life on the beach before claiming skulls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, there's a lot of unsuspecting bloodbags just lazing about on the beach. Beats trying to fight warrior's to claim skulls for Khorne any day of the week.

      Glad you like the maniac I created Alex. Cheers :)

      Delete