Thursday 15 December 2016

An army.....never done this before.

I'm nearing the end of my quest to have all the minis required to run The Wolf Time campaign. I could have taken the easy way out and just used proxies, but it wouldn't be the same now would it :)

If you have a look back at when I started this madness you can see the list of minis that I wanted to have. Well, the Space Wolves component of this project have now been officially completed!


And here they all are, broken down into their respective units. Note: to differentiate the squads from each other I painted a coloured stripe down their helmets, so as to help me identify them on the tabletop a little easier. And as an added bonus (and more importantly)  it makes them look cooler :)


First up are the three Tac squads, yellow stripe;





Second, the two Dev squads, white stripe;




Lastly, the single Assault squad, white stripe with black banding;




Here are the individual squad Sergeants, with their respective squad markings on their legs. Coz it would have looked dumb if I painted the stripe down their faces :P



And here's a shot of the whole gang, chillin;




A close up of one of my favorite Sergeants, because I can :) 

Great for picking his nose it is!


Having a look back at my "to-do list" of the minis that I needed to play this campaign, there's quite a few that I can now scratch off:

15 Howlers aka tactical squad
10 Snarlers aka Devastator squad
5 Tearers aka Assault squad
5 Trackers aka jet cycle squad
6 Wolf Time characters
11 Ork Nobz. I originally thought I could get away with 5 but after I got some clarification on the Oldhammer forum I realised that I'd need more....ll actually, the last being for a character model.
1 Ork Character model Kulo
Couple of terrain pieces
Dungeon floor plans No#1
Dungeon rooms
Judge Dredd Citi-Block floor plans


So far , if I disregard The Wolf Time thing for a moment, painting up an army has been a whole new experience for me. Sure, I've collected enough minis to have an army.......probably a few times over if I'm honest. But I've never actually sat down, planned out a force and painted them to completion before. This project, thus far, has taken me a bloody long time though, almost from the end of March this year! How all the cool kids who bang out armies for modern 40K do it on a regular basis, while still maintaining a modicum of enjoyment in the process, I'll never know?

I'll be taking a little break from The Wolf Time for a short while. I wanna catch up on some of my unfinished projects first, namely my Hovertank & Siege Dreadnought :)


Anyway, thats it from me :)

May you all have a Merry Xmas and eat so much that you become violently unwell :P

26 comments:

  1. A great army and an awesome accomplishment. Well done! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Airborne :)

      More fodder for the tabletop :D

      Cheers.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Glad your liking it good Doctor :)

      More to come, but not soonish.

      Cheers :)

      Delete
  3. Very inspiring. Superb expression on that face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leadhead :)

      His just got that "Get ta fuck out a mar face!" look about him hasn't he! Just the sort of qualities that you need in a pretend squad leader :D

      Cheers.

      Delete
  4. Fucking awesome. Many of us have fled army building because of the tremendous amount of patience it requires but this is just too good. Every model is uniques and has its own individuality and yet the coherence is complete.
    Definitely th ekind of army we all want to be playing with or against.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I completely empathise with those sentiments too brother. Army building is a long, hard slog. I'm pretty sure this is the largest army that I'm likely to ever build. Saying that though, I am really happy that I've got them now....kick'n arse across the felt battlefield :)

      Thanks for commenting on the individual aspect of each of them too JB. It makes it all worth while when others appreciate the extra lengths that you go too to make your minis that little bit better than the original form they came in.

      Cheers mate :)

      Delete
  5. The first army is always special, and these guys look super raddd. This scenario will be played by us someday, it simply must!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I concur Captain.....once I've got my Nobz ready, we will for sure :)

      And then we can play the scenario after that :P

      Cheers mate.

      Delete
  6. Man, this is absolutely awesome. They all instil charm, the whole group is visually marvelous. Hats seriously off!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Suber :)

      Charm is what Space Wolves exude by the truck load....gallons & gallons of the shit!

      Cheers mate :)

      Delete
  7. That is an achievement to be proud of my good man. Awesome sauce with cherries on top. Best spacepuppies army I have seen a long time. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooohhh, I like cherries a lot too! I remember when I first popped my.................

      Cheers Whiskey :D

      Delete
  8. Amazing! Now you've made me want to do this campaign grumble, grumble 😜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Do it man!!! It should be on every hard core RT fans' bucket-list.....well, that's what I think anyway :)

      Cheers Andrew.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks Clarence :)

      Your praise is all the more impressive due to the fact that you yelled "fantastic" across the internet :D

      Cheers.

      Delete
  10. Top job mate, congrats on the milestone, and wow - what an amazing 1st army!! Hand on heart, this is one of my favourite projects of the year, I absolutely love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, gee....you've made an old man blush. Really happy that you like it that much. After all the hard work & time required to paint up an army I'm pretty chuffed with it too :)

      Thanks mate :)

      Delete
  11. These guys are great! Loads of character all around. I feel you on the finishing an army thing; I've certainly collected enough minis for several armies, but actually finishing them before changing focus has always been a challenge. Looking forward to seeing your latest siege dreadnaught, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm slowly making headway into the lead stash.....slowly :P

      One thing thats helped me a bit is not buying anymore minis, being content to finish what I have. It's not easy to do, lots of distractions on the net and a few odd purchases here & there, but on the whole I've managed to halt my mini purchasing "problem".

      The Hovertank has just been finished actually and the Siege Dreadnought is next on the cards. If you interested, you can see them in their unfinished stages buy looking through the "tabs" on the right.....they've got their own listings.

      Cheers Dustin :)

      Delete
  12. Oh, very well done. My wolves, some of whom actually date to the 80s in their current paint, are feeling some old school envy there. Well bloody done sir! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool Composer! Have you got many old SW marines in their original paint? You should share them on the Oldhammer forum.

      Thanks for the bloody good praise too, brought a smile to my dial :)

      Cheers.

      Delete
    2. I do and I have shared . . . some. The oldest original paint is showing it's age. (I no longer have any block painted from the very first wave, but I have quite a lot from the second, including most of those that you show there. Not all are grey. I also have blue, red, green, and brown camouflaged Space Wolves, oddly. But several are grey. And all those in the current official army are grey. And they need a spruce up. I'm on the verge of feeling inspired, as I have most of the supplies to do that. Including five Bullock Jet Cycles . . . that all look weenie now that you've made yours. ;-)

      Delete
    3. I know I've said it before, but it annoys the hell outta me that I don't get notified of your comments:(!!!! I only stumble on them when I'm doing some blog house cleaning.

      Anyway, Get inspired dude! Those old beaky marines never go out of fashion......at least not in our oldhammer circles they don't :P

      I'm relieved that my Jet bikes make yours look titchy, twas the intention to make them bigger, badder, more awesomer than the originals :D

      Delete